OFT21-504G - Installation, commissioning and servicing of ground source heat pumps
This course is for technicians who wish to install, commission and service ground source heat pumps (non-refrigerant system). The course covers a variety of areas including health and safety, regional legislation and requirements, safe electrical isolation, factors to be considered before and during installation, filling and flushing requirements, appliance installation, thermal transfer fluids, collector circuit installation and sizing, soundness tests, operational checks and procedures, fault finding identifying unsafe situations, and practical servicing and commissioning.
Qualification Code and Qualification Title
OFT21-504G - Installation, commissioning and servicing of ground source heat pumps.
Assessment is via multiple choice theory papers, practically assessed worksheets (PAWS), and practical hands-on assessment.
Applicants must hold a nationally recognised qualification and/or registration in a trade associated with heating and/or plumbing work for a period of not less than two years.
Must have ‘on the job’ heating installation and/or maintenance experience for a period of not less than two years.
Hold current and valid water regulations certificate/ Hold current and valid unvented hot water certificate.
- Know the purpose and operational characteristics of ground source heat pump units and heat pump system components.
- Know the fundamental principles of ground source 'closed loop' heat pump collector circuit design and competent sizing.
- Know the layouts of 'open loop' collector circuits.
- Know the requirements to install and test ground source heat pump systems.
- Know the preparatory work for ground source heat pump installations and testing .
- Test and set to work a ground source system installation.
- Service and maintain a ground source heat pump system installation - heat pump components.
- Service and maintain a ground source heat pump system installation - heating system components.
- Know the requirements to handover system installations.
- Know the procedures to notify installations.
Re-assessment is required after five years.
OFTEC Heat Pump reference manual, MCS Domestic Heat Pumps - A Best Practice Guide, MCS MIS 3005-I, MCS MIS 3005-D, Approved Documents L1A, L1B, Domestic Heating Design Guide.
Installation of Ground/Water Source Heat Pumps to MCS Installation Standard 3005-I.