Electrical Part P registration | OFTEC registration schemes

OFTEC Electrical (Part P) registration

In 2005 the Government introduced electrical safety rules into the Building Regulations for England and Wales. This means that most fixed electrical installation work in homes must now, by law, meet Part P of the Building Regulations.

OFTEC offers electrical (Part P) registration for heating technicians who wish to install and self-certify fixed low or extra-low voltage electrical installations in dwellings – electric vehicle charging points are included in this scope. All technicians who register are automatically listed on the Registered Competent Person Electrical website which contains details of all electricians registered to work for householders in England and Wales, making finding the right person for the job easy for consumers.

All electricians listed are permitted to display the scheme’s logo, showing they meet strict entry requirements and that their work meets the correct standards and is regularly assessed as well as demonstrating their ability and ongoing competence.

What's included in OFTEC's Part P registration scheme?

  • Full scope electrical Part P – for technicians carrying out domestic electrical work.

OFT103 Electrical Part P registration enables you to self-certify electrical work in accordance with Regulations 4 and 7 of the Building Regulations 2000 (as amended). Under Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) authorisation this will be annual registration and will be subject to an annual on-site visit by an appointed technical expert. This site visit is to assess competence and give assurance that the technician is continuing to comply with the requirements of the scheme specification. Registrants on the OFT 103 scheme will have access to a free technical helpline.

The qualifications you need

A range of City and Guilds qualifications are required to suit types of electrical installation work. For full details download a copy of our Electrical Installation Work Undertaken in England and Wales information sheet.

Before you apply

Have you read our how to become registered page to ensure you have everything in place ready for your OFTEC registration?

Already registered with OFTEC for another technology?

You can simply complete an extension to registration scope form - you don't need to complete a new business application form.  

Ready to apply?

This scope of registration is available to applicants in the UK only.

If you are not already registered with OFTEC, please apply online for your CPS registration. Existing registered businesses - you can Add Part P to your registration.

Completing the form online speeds up the application process, but if you having technical difficulties and are unable to submit the online form, we can send you a paper version by post for you to fill in by hand, please contact our registration team.

Please wait ...